Thursday, August 22, 2013

Project in the Works: "Open Door" (India.Arie)


While it appeared to a lot of people that India.Arie took a four year hiatus from music, she actually spent about three years of that time working on an album "Open Door," a collaboration with Israeli artist Idan Raichel, that her label didn't really get as it as a different musical direction than we are used to hearing from India. Speaking with Billboard about the album and her optimism of us potentially hearing it after the success of her recent LP SongVersation, India revealed the following:
"I spent three years on that album," Arie tells Billboard. "I funded most of it with my personal money, but I learned a big lesson about being able to let go. And I knew I had to let ('Open Door') go because we could not agree on the business part. If the business wasn't in order, the album would have been a failure; I'm clear on that. So I was like, 'I'm not doing this. I shelved it in late October of 2012, and on Nov. 1 I started working on Songversation."
 "Open Door was a world music project, and bilingual," she explains. "It was in Hebrew and English, and it's great. I do think it's really beautiful. But it's very emotional and very dark -- in a good way."
"I feel like on a creative and musical level, my audience will be more ready for it," Arie says. "It's different for me, but I think people will be more interested now, after (SongVersation). I still don't know if we'll be able to come to business terms, but I hope the mythology of having that great lost album will maybe help open some doors, because I would love for people to hear it."
While we will hopefully get to hear what India.Arie and Idan Raichel cooked up during their collaborative period, luckily during this period, the duo performed a few times publicly and after the jump you can watch a performance of theirs entitled "River Water."

No comments:

Post a Comment