Sunday, May 27, 2012

After Midnight: Minnie Riperton


Several years ago for Steven Lopez's "After Midnight" series, the famed artist painted a beautiful painting of Minnie Riperton.  Lopez had the following comment below the video of his sublime creation:
She is the queen of hearts. There is a certain caliber of singing that is held by few and wanted by many. Minne Riperton belongs in the top echelon. Her voice is a window sent from heaven. Her singing is an auditory spectacle into the world of unconditional love. I ask myself what is it about her that attracts me to her music? Its easy for me to say that her vocal range was second to none. But I challenge others to look beyond that and hear the spaces between her words. Her poetry is the effort of love pouring out of her soul. Songs like hers dont come around that often, if at all. I hope that other singers see her as a standard of what a love song should be. Its an era that she crowned with her voice. I know that this world was meant to catch a glimpse of her. She was put here to show the possibility of a life of love.
With that said, watch him paint his vision of the legendary Minnie Riperton below and Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment