Wednesday, June 30, 2010
"Midnight Train To Georgia" - Gladys Knight and The Pips
- Writer: Jim Weatherly
- Producers: Tony Camillo & Gladys Knight & the Pips
- Classification: Old-School Soul
- Record Label: Buddah Records
- "Midnight Train To Georgia" was released in 1973.
- It reached #1 on both the Billboard Hot 100 and the Hot Soul Singles chart.
- "Midnight Train to Georgia" won the 1974 Grammy Award for Best R&B Vocal Performance By A Duo, Group Or Chorus.
Tuesday, June 29, 2010
Check out this amazing collabo of Monica and Deniece Williams performing their respected songs... Enjoy!
"Adore" - Prince
- Writer and Producer: Prince Nelson
- Classification: Smooth Soul, Slow Jam, Quiet Storm, Funk, and Psychedelic Soul
- Record Label:
- Featured on 1987's Sign o' the Times
Monday, June 28, 2010
"If This Isn't Love" - Jennifer Hudson
- Writers: Theron Thomas, Terry Thomas, and Brian Kennedy
- Producers: Brian Kennedy
- Classification: Slow Jam and Smooth Soul
- Record Label: Arista Records
- "If This Isn't Love"was released in 2009 from Jennifer Hudson.
- Peaked at #5 on the U.S. Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs
Sunday, June 27, 2010
- Classification: Philly Soul, Neo-Soul, Slow Jam, and Smooth Soul
- Record Label: BEE Records
- Released in 2005 from the album "The Revelation Is Now Televised."
Check out this amazing performance of Heatwave's "Always and Forever" which has always been one of my favorite jams... Enjoy!
Saturday, June 26, 2010
"The Closer I Get to You"
- Writers: Reggie Lucas and James Mtume
- Producer: Joe Ferla, Roberta Flack, and Eugene McDaniels
- Classification: Old-School Soul, Smooth Soul, and Quiet Storm
- Record Label: Atlantic Records
- "The Closer I Get to You" was released in 1978 from Blue Lights in the Basement.
- It reached #1 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Soul Singles
Friday, June 25, 2010
"Just Friends (Sunny)" - Musiq Soulchild
- From Musiq's debut album Aijuswanaseing
- Producers: Ivan "Orthodox" Barias & Carvin "Ransum" Haggins
- Classification: Philly Soul, Neo-Soul
- Record Label: Def Soul
- "Just Friends (Sunny)" was released in 2000
- The song peaked at #6 on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart.
Thursday, June 24, 2010
- Writers: Jack Splash and Thomas DeCarlo Callaway
- Producer: Jack Splash
- Classified: Neo-Soul, Old-School Soul, Hip-Hop Soul
- Record Label: Music World, Geffen
- Released in 2009 from"Sol-Angel and the Hadley St. Dream"
- Peaked at # 62 on the U.S. Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs
Wednesday, June 23, 2010
"Take Off the Blues"
- Classified: Neo-Soul, Smooth Soul, Hip-Hop Soul, and Jazz-Soul
- Record Label:
Tuesday, June 22, 2010
Check out this emotionally charged performance of LaBelle's classic "Isn't It A Shame" performed as only Patti can deliver.... Enjoy!
"Living For The City" - Stevie Wonder
- Writers: Stevie Wonder
- Producer: Stevie Wonder
- Classification: Old-School Soul and Motown
- Record Label: Tamla
- "Living For The City" was released in 1973 from the album Innervisions.
- It reached #1 on Billboard's Hot Soul Singles.
Monday, June 21, 2010
"I Want You" - Marvin Gaye
- Producers: Marvin Gaye and Leon Ware
- Classification: Motown, Detroit Soul, Smooth Soul, Slow Jam, Quiet Storm, and Old-School Soul
- Record Label: Tamla
- "I Want You" was released in 1976 from I Want You.
- It reached #15 on the U.S. Billboard Pop Singles and #1 on Hot Selling Soul Singles chart
Sunday, June 20, 2010
Rare Performance: "Turn Your Light Down Low", "Doo Wop (That Thing)", & "Fugee-La-La" (Lauryn Hill)
Check out this stirring rendition of Ledisi's latest single "Higher Than This" from A Music Experience.... Enjoy!
"Dance With My Father" - Luther Vandross
- Writers: Luther Vandross and Richard Marx
- Classification: Smooth Soul, Quiet Storm, and Slow Jam
- Record Label: J Records
- Released in 2003 from Luther's Dance With My Father Album
- Peaked at #38 on the US Billboard Hot 100 Charts and #28 on Billboard's Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs
Saturday, June 19, 2010
"If This World Were Mine"
- Writers: Marvin Gaye
- Producers: Luther Vandross
- Classification: Quiet Storm, Old-School Soul, Slow Jam, and Smooth Soul
- Record Label: Columbia Records
- Released in 1982 from "Instant Love"
- Peaked at #4 on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs
- Cover of Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell's hit song from their 1967 album United.
Friday, June 18, 2010
Peep Adele's performance of "Hometown Glory" from VH1's Divas Live! This is partly why she is a Grammy winning Best New Artist.... her voice has so much depth... take a listen!
Thursday, June 17, 2010
"Hate on Me"
- Writers and Producers: Jill Scott, Adam Blackstone, and Steve McKie
- Classification: Philly Soul, Psychedelic Soul, Neo-Soul
- Record Label: Hidden Beach Records
- Released in 2007 from "The Real Thing: Words and Sounds Vol. 3 "
- Peaked at #24 on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs
Check out this amazing video of Aretha Franklin performing her version of "Bridge Over Troubled Water".... Enjoy!
Wednesday, June 16, 2010
"Someday We'll All Be Free"
- Writers: Donny Hathaway and Edward Howard
- Producer: Arif Mardin
- Classification: Old-School Soul, Smooth Soul, Quiet Storm
- Record Label: Atco
- "Someday We'll All Be Free" was released in 1973 from Extension of a Man
- It reached #51 on the U.S. Billboard R&B Charts
Check out this amazing performance of Christina's hit "Hurt". This woman's singing is in another league of today's pop stars... Enjoy!
Tuesday, June 15, 2010
"Alright" - Ledisi
- Writers: Ledisi Young & Rex Rideout
- Producers: Ledisi Young & Rex Rideout
- Classification: Jazz-Soul, Neo-Soul, Smooth Soul, Quiet Storm
- Record Label: Verve Records
- "Love Ballad" was released in 2007.
- The song peaked at #45 on the Billboard Hot R&B Charts.
Fantasia will release her newest album, "Back To Me" on July 27th! She states that Steve Harvey actually came up with the title!
“Steve Harvey suggested the album title and it describes perfectly where I am in my life right now.... I’ve willingly let the world into my life through my book, the Lifetime television movie and now the VH1 reality show. Now, it’s time to go back to how things used to be when America first laid their eyes on me on American Idol.... I want to focus everyone’s attention back to me and back to music that everyone can relate to and enjoy."