Sunday, February 28, 2010
Saturday, February 27, 2010
- Writer: Taalib Johnson
- Producers: Orthodox & Ransum
- Classification: Neo-Soul and Philly Soul
- Record Label: Def Soul
- "Forthenight" was released in 2003 from Soulstar.
- It reached #18 on the U.S. Billboard Hot R&B/ Hip-Hop Singles Charts
Friday, February 26, 2010
Watch this amazing performance of Jill's "The Fact Is (I Need You)" from her Live in Paris DVD. If you don't have this live CD/DVD combo it is a must have for a collection!
According to theybf.com:
Maxwell and Jill Scott will kick off their 20-city U.S. arena tour (produced by LiveNation) on May 21st in Cleveland with additional dates to be announced through June. The fab duo will make other tour stops in Detroit, Indianapolis, Chicago, St. Louis, Seattle, Oakland, Los Angeles, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Miami, Washington DC, Philadelphia and New York.
I don't know about yall, but I am so ready for this!!! :) Also check out the photo of Jill Scott from the 41st Annual N.A.A.C.P. Image Awards.
"U Do It For Me"
- Writers: Algebra Blessett, D. Bastiane, T. Bastiane, and C. Rickets
- Producers: Duane Bastiane and Tom Soares
- Classification: Neo-Soul
- Record Label: Kedar Entertainment Group
- Released in 2008 from the album "Purpose"
Thursday, February 25, 2010
During a tour stop as the opening act for Maxwell's Fall 2008 tour Jazmine Sullivan gives a heartfelt performance of her Grammy nominated "In Love With Another Man".
Wednesday, February 24, 2010
Enjoy this amazing cover of Gladys Knight's "Where Peaceful Waters Flow"... Jennifer tears it up! In my opinion she should release a cover of this song on her next album!
"Let's Stay Together" - Al Green
- Producers: Al Green and Willie Mitchell
- Classification: Gospel Soul, Southern Soul, Slow Jam, and Smooth Soul
- Record Label: Hi Records
- "Let's Stay Together" was released from 1971's Let's Stay Together.
- Peaked at #1 on both Billboard's Hot 100 and US R&B Charts
Tuesday, February 23, 2010
Here is the "Queen" performing one of her many hits. Here is a rare performance of her performing "I Say A Littler Prayer" which was an original B-Side single, but the DJs liked her recording so much they they started playing it more than the A-Side single ("The House That Jack Built")
- Writers & Producers: Vivian Green, E.Roberson, and Osunlade
- Classification: Neo-Soul, Philly Soul, Smooth Soul, Quiet Storm, and Slow Jam
- Record Label: Columbia Records
- Peaked at #13 on the U.S. Billboard Hot R&B Singles & Tracks and #39 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100
Monday, February 22, 2010
"I Keep/ Still Here" - Jill Scott
- Writer: Jill Scott
- Producers: Andre Harris and Vidal Davis (I Keep), Pete Kuzma (Still Here)
- Classification: Neo-Soul, Philly Soul, and Smooth Soul
- Record Label: Hidden Beach Recordings
- "I Keep/ Still Here" was released in 2004.
- Off of Jill Scott's gold selling sophomore album "Beautiful Human: Words and Sounds Vol 2"
- These songs were never released as a singles but are great songs that are worth a few listens.
Sunday, February 21, 2010
- Writers and Producers: Luther Vandross and Marcus Miller
- Classification: Quiet Storm, Smooth Soul, Slow Jam, and Old-School Soul
- Record Label: Epic Records
- "Any Love" was released in 1988 from "Any Love"
- Peaked at #1 on the U.S. Billboard Hot R&B Singles & Tracks and #44 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100
Saturday, February 20, 2010
Friday, February 19, 2010
"Chasing Pavements" - Adele
- Writers: Adele and Eg White
- Producers: Eg White
- Classification: Blue-Eyed Soul, Smooth Soul and British Soul
- Record Label: XL Recordings
- "Chasing Pavements"was released in 2008 from 19 .
- "Chasing Pavements" won a 2009 Grammy for Best Female Vocal Performance
- Peaked at #4 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100
Thursday, February 18, 2010
- Writers and Producers: Jill Scott and Anthony Bell
- Classification: Philly Soul, Neo-Soul
- Record Label: Hidden Beach Records
- Released in 2005 from "Beautifully Human: Words and Sounds Vol. 2 "
- Peaked at #31 on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs
Wednesday, February 17, 2010
Tuesday, February 16, 2010
- Writers: Jack Splash and Thomas DeCarlo Callaway
- Producer: Jack Splash
- Classified: Neo-Soul, Old-School Soul, Hip-Hop Soul
- Record Label: Music World, Geffen
- Released in 2009 from"Sol-Angel and the Hadley St. Dream"
- Peaked at # 62 on the U.S. Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs
Monday, February 15, 2010
"Take Off the Blues"
- Classified: Neo-Soul, Smooth Soul, Hip-Hop Soul, and Jazz-Soul
- Record Label:
Sunday, February 14, 2010
Check out this amazing performance of "Never Walk Alone" by the Phoenix of Philadelphia, Ms. Patti Labelle. I think this is one of the best, if not best performances ever seen at the Apollo... Enjoy!
- Classification: Gospel Soul, International Soul, Smooth Soul, Quiet Storm, and Slow Jam
- Record Label: Syco
- Released in 2008
- This song peaked at #1 on the UK Singles Chart
Saturday, February 13, 2010
"If You Asked Me To"
- Writer: Diane Warren
- Producers: Stewart Levine and Aaron Zigman
- Classification: Philly Soul, Old-School Soul, Smooth Soul, Quiet Storm, and Slow Jam
- Record Label: MCA
- Released in 1989 from the album "Be Yourself"
- This song peaked at #10 on the Billboard's Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs
Friday, February 12, 2010
- Writers: B. Marley, C. Payne, and W. Adam
- Classification: Neo-Soul, Jazz-Soul
- Record Label: Island Def Jam
- "Be OK" was released in 2007 from here "I Am" Album
- Currently #21 on the US Billboard Hot Adult R&B Airplay.
Thursday, February 11, 2010
"That's the Way of the World"
- Writers: Maurice White, Charles Stepney, Verdine White
- Producer: Maurice White
- Classification: Funk, Chicago-Soul
- Record Label: Columbia Records
- "That's the Way of the World" was released in 1975 from That's the Way of the World
- It reached #1 on the U.S. Billboard Black Singles
Watch this amazing performance of "Dreamgirls" by Jennifer Hudson promoting Dreamgirls on a cruise ship back in 2006... Enjoy!
Wednesday, February 10, 2010
- Writers: Linda Creed and Thom Bell
- Classification: Quiet Storm, Slow Jam, Smooth Soul, and Philly Soul
- Record Label: Avco Records
- Released in 1974 from